I found this recipe with the new year barely behind me. I decided this year, 2014, was going to be a big year of change; starting off with my health. I was pursuing Pinterest and I came across this recipe. I had a package of black rice from a previous experiment and this recipe was interesting, not to mention the picture from MyNewRoots looked so good!
- 1 cup / 200g black rice, soaked overnight (if possible)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (reserve a couple tablespoons for garnish, if desired)
- ½ cup water with soaked rice, 1 ½ cups water with un-soaked rice
- ¼ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ½ vanilla bean (optional)
mango, passion fruit, pomegranate, banana, kiwi, pineapple
1. Measure out rice, rinse and cover with water. Let soak overnight or for up to 8 hours (even one hour makes a difference!). Drain and rinse well again.
2. Place rice in a pot with coconut milk, salt, vanilla bean (seeds and pod) and the indicated amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (you still want a little liquid). Times vary depending on whether or not you soaked the rice: for un-soaked rice, cook 45-60 minutes; for soaked rice, cook about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. While the rice is cooking, prepare all the fruit that you would like to accompany the pudding.
4. To assemble, scoop out desired amount of black rice into a bowl, top with fruit, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of coconut milk. Enjoy.